Sunday, March 01, 2009

Sable Island shipwreck

In January while on Sable Island I came across a shipwreck that was exposed albeit for a week or so. I took quite a few photos but didn't seem to be able to capture a strong relationship between the sea and the wreck. I really wanted this because the sea is of course the reason for the shipwreck being there. I also wanted to capture a sense of 'spookiness' since I felt that while walking around the wreck. Imagining the sea men that died as the ship hit the island.

Anyway, to get that shot I used a slow shutter speed at dusk with the camera positioned on top of a dune. Here is the result. Damian

2 comments:

Colin said...

Oooh very neat. Nice colours too. How slow was your shutter speed? You got the neat ghostly (not ghastly) effect, I think.

Anonymous said...

Dams
This is a great images. The ethereal effect of the slow shutter speed makes for a very abstract and gentle image, reminiscent of that Hugh Milsom (Milson?) who talked at CCC a year or so ago. The cropping is excellent too, with the soft bands of the sea receeding to a pale blue. At the bottom left, there's a nice gentle streak of wash, revealling some different tones in the sand.

Excellent work. You should try to sell this one if not doing so already.

Ivan