Thursday, August 03, 2006

What you should NEVER do with Photoshop...

Chaps

I came across this montage image while doing some other clean-up work of my overly-full C:drive. I took the picture of the (famous) painting in Chicago, and I put myself in it, watery reflections on the cobbled stones and all. I tried to make myself look a bit oil-painterly, using a filter in Photoshop, and resized and toned to fit in. Clearly, it needs to be more oil-painterly, but I am quite pleased with the reflection work. This was done by copying and pasting another version of me (cut out from another image), rotating it to lie in the right orientation, darkening down with levels, then using the blur and smudge brushes, bending the reflection to follow the contours of the cobbles. Finally, I lowered the opacity and, using a mask, subtly made the reflection fade out naturally. Interesting to get your comments...
Ivan

2 comments:

Critical Light said...

Hi there,

I really like the reflection. It works really well. However, the image of you doesn't blend in as well. I guess you are too sharp or something. I did notice that your arm is stretched out. It would be fun to add a walking stick...

Damian

Anonymous said...

I know - I need to work on making me look more like part of the painting. Just some fun. Glad you like the reflection - it was the bit I was most proud of!
Ivan