Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Two Up



Happy New Year, folks. I had a panic last night when Ivan reminded me that the deadline for the last projected image competition was at midnight. So I've jumped in and plucked out two images from a recent conference I photographed at work. I really don't think the judge is going to like them, but I don't really care!

This first is called "The Conference Begins". The context (which the judge won't have, of course) is that this is Dr Paul Shellard, just preparing to open the plenary session of a conference featuring the biggest names in world Cosmology. I love the fact that the delegates will be discussing the most intricate details of their models of the Very Early Universe at a level of understanding which is unavailable to the overwhelming majority of the population (myself included) and yet, like the rest of us, he's mainly preoccupied by getting the OHP in focus.



They're going to hate this one. Obvious camera shake. This one's called The Philanthropist. It's an image of Dennis Avery, who has provided a large amount of money to set up a new Centre for Theoretical Cosmology. I shot it during the speeches launching the centre, at the point where he was being thanked for his generosity. I think it shows a warmth, a humour and an excitement in the guy's face. Like I say, it'll probably get tossed aside because of the camera shake...

1 comment:

stasher1 said...

I like them both Gareth. It is a shame about the camera shake on The Philanthropist but it's till a great shot - I particularly like how you've framed it. i do like the conference begins: the fiddling with the OHP and the discussions/movemnt in the audience capture the atmosphere perfectly. Remainds me of many conferences I've been to. Perhaps OHP Guy is a little too central though? Anyway, screw the judges, they are good shots!
Adam