Monday, February 11, 2008

Let me in, dammit!

Hi guys!

Here's one I took while playing with my new wide-angle toy, a Sigma 10-20mm. I want your opinions on a couple of things:
  1. What do you think of the angle? I've noticed that this crooked-framing wide-angle style is popular with the photographers working for a local rag, the Chronically Horrid. Although in their work the subject is frequently far more prominent. I rather like it, although I can see it getting old very quickly.
  2. Colour balance? I have also been playing around with post-processing raw images. In this case it was mostly white balance, but there was some saturation tweaking as well. The goal was to make the outside look cold, and the inside warm (i.e., reflecting reality. Brr! Poor dog...) Does it work?
I'm very interesting in opinions here, so don't hold back.
--Colin

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Colin

1. Angle - nah, not for me. I can see that if it added to a sense of movement or drama, then these kooky angles can work, but I don't this this is one of them.

2. Colour balance. Yes, you've achieved what you wanted; it does look bloody freezing outside and warm and inviting inside. Especially like the warm light falling on the snow outside the door.

Good stuff

Ivan

Critical Light said...

Colin,

1. I would shoot according to what I 'see' rather than what someone else sees. This angular shot does not add anything for me. Essentially, I am in agreement with Ivan.

2. How did you adjust the white balance? In Camera RAW I would take the white balance dropper and target the snow. Is this what you did? Also, how did you saturate the colours? Did you select the inside colours and saturate those only, or did you apply saturation to the whole image. The warm vs cold works well but I find there is something odd about the colours outside. I would guess the colour temperature is set too high.

Damian

Colin said...

Ivan-- thanks. I guess the crazy angle doesn't really work here. But, I had a fun time playing around while the dog froze.

Damian-- I did indeed set the camera white balance on a snow background. For the picture, I applied my tweaks to the whole image. The white balance temperature was indeed elevated somewhat, good eye. I considered separating the indoor lighting but decided the desired effect could be achieved more easily. The outside colours might be partly due to that patio light on a stick, off to the left behind the camera, if you remember, casting a faint light on the side of the house (which desperately needs paint... I know...)

Incidentally, the software I used was UFRaw http://ufraw.sourceforge.net

BTW I rather liked your facebook phoon with the sable island ponies in the background.

Katie J said...

Me, I love the angle. I don't think it would improve it at all to straighten it up and be left with a straight line of sky. Also it makes you think that it is a flying visitor coming in to land at an angle that wants to be let in.