Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hat-tip to Hugh Milsom



Hugh Milsom came and spoke at Camera Club earlier in the year - it was one of the best talks and bodies of work that I've seen in my two years' membership there. Sadly, Ivan wasn't able to go but I was so impressed with Hugh's distinctive work that I bought the book he was flogging for Ivan.

Hugh's post-processing style is very different from most. He starts off with flat-lit, subdued colours and subdues most of them even more, achieving a pastel, ethereal effect - look at the beach section of his website to see what I mean. Anyway, I was going through my back catalogue a week ago and picked this shot of Saunton Sands in Devon as one which I'd previously rejected - Hugh has shots in his book from this neck of the woods, too. Anyway, I thought it might work well with a similar treatment, and I'm rather pleased with the result. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

G
Very nice indeed, and faithful to the images in the book. Would it work better if the sky was cropped out? Perhaps give it a try and re-post.
Ivan