Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Organising digital files

With the purchase of the new PC with lots of storage (750GB and 500GB back up), I really want to improve how I organise my digital files, into a proper digital workflow from capture, filing, working-on to finished files.

The way I did it before was rubbish; filed under location/date (i.e. Norfolk, July 08). This is fine for snapshots, but what then if images are selected for possible photographic/artistic merit to be worked on for either personal projects, one's portfolio and/or competition entries. How to track and organise these, especially when images are "in transit" between the initial RAW and final output?

I'd really welcome some comments and postings from you chaps on how you manage your files, or how you think you should manage them, to get the best advice all round. I am also thinking to ask some of the more experience photographers at the club for what they do (and I'll post a summary of their experiences).

Dams - as the only semi-professional among us, your comments (assuming you're still alive) would be great!

Cheers
Ivan

No comments: