Friday, December 07, 2007

Beachwalkers; the Ann Miles Crop


Hi

As Gareth will attest, Ann Miles is a member of CCC, and a distinguished and accomplished (FRPS) photographer she is.

I sent her my Beachwalkers pic, and she liked it. She said she didn't know if the foreground added strongly; would cropping it out and making the beach the base for the sky work better?

The result - as I interpret it - is above. What do you think? I like the original, but there IS something simpler about this, and may address G's comment about the distraction of the sea (in a dramatic way!)

Ivan

2 comments:

Gareth said...

She's absolutely right. I'd still take 10% off the left too, to get the main two figures a little more off-centre.

Critical Light said...

Comparing the two, I much prefer this new crop. I am quite happy with the position of the people.

This has been an interesting process of playing with an image and using the input from several people. We now have a much improved image.

But, how do we feel about this process?. A different sky was added to the photo, so this image never actually existed. But does that matter? Why should it matter? Why are the buying public put off by major edits in photoshop?

Also, Ivan saw something quite different when taking this photograph, so should one spend more time looking at a scene without the camera in front of us before we shoot. This is something that I do more often now. There is a strong impulse to raise the camera as soon as we see something of interest and shoot.

What do people think?

Damian