Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Print Porfolio choices

Next week is the Print Portfolio competition; 5 prints on a recognisable theme is the only limitation.

So, my portfolio is a collection of live performance images, taken at a session at Cambridge Junction venue about two and a half years ago. In fact, I had just got the 350D, and had also just come back from a week with Damian and Sue in Halifax, so that dates it to about April 05. So, no new pictures here, but I have worked on them pretty extensively.

The print portfolio also requires that you define both an order and a layout plan. For the digital portfolio, clearly it's only the order that can be varied, so this adds another complicating dimension (literally) to the task. So, below I present my selections in the correct order (1 through 5). The layout is:



This gives a rather pleasing arrangement of 4 landscape orientation images on the corners of the "X", with a fairly strong dominating portrait image in the centre. In addition, I think I have a bluey and a reddy image on opposite corners too, as I thought that would balance it better, again with a more greeney one in the middle.

The files I've used here are quite small, low res, but you get the idea. Comments welcomed as usual.

Images 1-5, in order:





2 comments:

Gareth said...

Ivan, if this portfolio doesn't get a top three place - unless some genius work gets pulled out of the bag from other people - I'm not going to bother submitting anything in future. I think it's great.

Anonymous said...

G, thanks! I'm quite pleased with it myself, and it's great to get positive feedback. That matters (almost) as much as competition success!!

I have put quite a lot of thought into the layout, composition (some are quite cropped, so I hope the resolution in print is OK) and colour scheme of the images selected. Some are not critically sharp in places, but that's the nature of the beast, isn't it?

We'll see how it does (and you SHOULD still submit even if this bombs - as I expect it will, based on recent form - as we must continue to fight the butterfly/squirrel/flower bias.

Ivan