Wednesday, December 03, 2008

More night shots...

Ventured out again a few evening ago with a Cambridge chum (not Gareth). My friend, Bob, has a new Nikon D300 - man that camera has great high ISO sensitivity and low noise. Awesome. Make the 450D look a bit shit, actually, in that regard, but I was able to get both shots below at ISO 200-400, 30" exposure, f8-9. I have also just got a remote control, so I can move to bulb (i.e. >30s) exposures with mirror lock up, so hopefully I can swap high ISO performance for longer exposures at lower ISO...

Anyway - here are my shots:

The first is looking from Garrett Hostel Bridge towards Trinity Bridge. It was a long exposure (30"), and I may have overcooked it a bit, but there's nice softness on the water, and check out the movement of the tree on the left. It was quite blowy, which has captured a nice effect, I think. What you don't get from this is quite how dark it was - it was very dark, and I only managed to focus by setting one of the focal points to a distant light, then recomposing and pressing the shutter (2 second delay, mirror lock up and then 30" exposure).



The next image is Cambridge's newest attraction. It's the so-called "Chronophage" (time-eater) clock, which forms the corner of the newly refurbished Corpus Christi college. See here or here for more details.



I took this from across the street, with the telephoto on a tripod. I wanted to get the whole thing in the shot, and avoid reflections too. I'll revisit this to get some detail shots sometime also. As it moves, a long exposure led to some very blurry shots, and the beastie couldn't be seen. So, I went for about 1/20 second exposure, to get a mostly-frozen image, and capture it as it looks, backlit in eerie blue. Interestingly (geekily), the shutter speed can be verified, since the second "hand" LEDs do one revolution per second, and there are 3 of them illuminated in the shot, 3/60 = 1/20. Also, note the time - 10:45pm, just before we headed to the nearby Eagle pub for last orders.

Ivan

5 comments:

Damian Lidgard said...

Not that keen on either image. The first is the best but the willow is quite dominating and a little odd with the blurriness. Doesn't really work for me. The second one, well. Its just confusing to me. Quite snap shot'ish. Sorry.

Damian

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comments - not sure what is confusing about the second image, but it would be useful to know.

Does it appear snapshot-ish because it shows the full image with no apparent artistic slant to it? If so, I can see that it is more like a record shot, capturing the thing as it is, but that's what I wanted.

It's definitely not a snapshot in terms of the thought-process or the execution though, so interesting that it comes across as such. Not a problem, just interesting.

Cheers
Ivan

Colin said...

The first shot isn't as good as the long-exposures you posted earlier. It does have a bizarre surreal look to it, though. The second... have to agree with Dam here.

Damian Lidgard said...

If you intended it to be a shot of what it is then that fine. For me, I don't really know what it is so its appears a little confusing to me. The colours are great though.

D

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.