Friday, December 05, 2008

A Venetian "Before and After"

This one is quite radical, and from the days (about 4 years ago) when I used to make really big changes to images, including new skies, colour temperature, adding/removing elements. I don't really do that these days, but I do like the change from the original to the manipulated image in this before and after.

Below is the original. It was taken at/near sunrise, so it's nice and quiet, few boats and NO tourists. But, the feel was cold and not what I pictured in my mind.



The manipulated image has a new sky, selected with the characteristics to match (i.e. light coming from the right direction etc). The buildings and water were warmed up to match, and then the two carefully put together using layers and layer masks. Took a bit of time, but I think the effect is quite convincing. I wanted an almost painting-type of quality, as I thought it went well with the classical scene.



Thoughts welcome as ever

Ivan

3 comments:

Damian Lidgard said...

Well as you earlier noted, I am not one for changing an image to a different view but this does work. Very well actually. Certainly demonstrates your skills with PS. Feels quiet, early morning. Very nice. Would do well on a canvas.

Damian

Colin said...

I'm very impressed! Nice work!

The lighting doesn't seem quite right to me. It seems that the sun is straight ahead in the new sky, behind the building in the centre of the frame, yet it looks like the buildings are being lit from behind the camera, to the left.

Anonymous said...

cool blog