Monday, December 01, 2008

Now for something a little different...


A few months ago I received permission to spend hours in our local natural history museum photographing bird eggs. Bird eggs have amazing intricate patterns, and they are of different sizes and shapes. Anyway, here are three eggs from a guillemot (seabird for those who are not ornithologically gifted). They are pointed so that they don't roll out of the cliff nest but rather spin on their axis.

Anyway, I shot the eggs using a tripod and some lighting with the eggs on either a white or black mat. I used photoshop to remove the background and create a pure white (255,255,255) or pure black (0,0,0) background. I have lots of images to work through but thought I would share one with you. Damian

3 comments:

DXBluey said...

I really like it. It works for me, I can see it printed on some really luminous paper like chibachrome or on a lightbox. Would look great.

The space created with the pure black is focusing anf the arrangement of the 3 eggs works well.

Anonymous said...

Yes, nice. Not my thing at all, but I can see that it's nice.

Well lit too and a pleasing arrangement. The space is good, as pointed out above. Can see it hanging in an arty shop.

Ivan

Damian Lidgard said...

Well its very different to what I normally do, which is nice. The idea came about from a friend who asked if I could create something like this and frame three pieces. For me, its the beauty of the colours and form of the eggs.

D