Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Bay of Fundy

I have just returned from a 5 day trip to the Bay of Fundy assisting with the teaching of a marine mammal class. While out on the boat I took the opportunity to shoot what I could. During the middle of the trip the weather turned foggy so that the last two days were a wash-out. But I got a few nice shots. Here are some...


This is my favourite shot. It is a Greater Shearwater that was following the boat. So I tracked her with my camera. The light coloured foamy water adds to this shot.







I also really like this one too. A white-sided dolphin porpoising alongside the boat. The water was very calm with some nice reflections.

















Damian

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dams

Wildlife photography is not really "my bag" (as Austin Powers would say), so I may be the wrong person to comment. I have to say I neither of these really do anything for me: can't see the faces in any detail and there's not enough going on action-wise to grab my interest. I also find the off-centre positioning off-putting, especially so in the case of the dolphin, which is actually cropped off. I have seen better wildlife shots from you, much better, so perhaps you were limited by being boat-bound?

Ivan

Critical Light said...

What I like about the two dolphin shots is firstly that I managed to get the bodies in clear focus. Dolphins are more difficult than whales to photograph because they are so fast and difficult to know where they will appear above water. But, although I am happy with that achievement it does not automatically mean the photo is great. However, the other part of the photograph that I like is the interplay between the dolphin and the water; the smoothness of the water, reflections and the splashes that are created. But thats me.

The best shot for me is the bird. It looks so graceful in the photo, effortless flight, and the light on the water and on the bird adds an icy clear feel to it. The position of the bird to the left also gives a sense of space. I am going to enlarge this photo and hang it in the house.

Damian

stasher1 said...

I really like the bird, wings are accentuated by the crop, perhaps I'd be tempted to go even more 'panoramic'. Great shot. I have to agree with Ivans comments about the other two shots though.

Adam

Critical Light said...

Well I agree with you both that the shots of the dolphins are not really great shots. They are a personal achievement for me, getting good focus, but there isn't any WOW factor here.

I do think there is a WoW factor in the bird shot...that photo really speaks to me.

Damian