Monday, April 28, 2008

Horses and Rope


Here's a shot I took three and a half years ago. The lead horse's head was behind the tape but I photoshopped it out to make it appear that it was peering over. Looking back at this shot now, I've blown the highlights on the nose (it would have been shot in JPG rather than RAW so there may not be much which can be done, unless I did this in post-processing - I need to go back and check).

Interesting to thing whether I'd take this shot in this way, now. There's a lot of empty space to the right and top of frame, but perhaps there needs to be. I'm not holding this one up as a great image, but I'd be interested to get the Critical Light analysis of it...

4 comments:

Damian Lidgard said...

Well I like it. Jumps out at you when you first see it which is always good. There nose is blown out and I would think that you could adjust that with the shadow/highlights feature in PS. The mono works great and nice balance. It does need the space so I would not crop it any tighter. Nice shadows too and I like the cloudless sky above the horses; keeps the image free from too much 'clutter'.

Damian

Colin said...

I like it too, although the shadow across the white horse's nose betrays your photoshopping. Also there should be a shadow on the rope near the bit of mane hanging over it, otherwise the editing is a bit obvious.

You've captured some great expressions on their faces; notice how each horse has at least one ear pointed at the photographer? They're very interested in you. Well other than the loner way in the back who is more interested in food.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a nice shot; great grouping of the horses, and all looking at you. The photoshopping is good, and the shadows are easily rectified. It really has a 3D look to it, and I think the cropping is fine, in line with Ds comments too. Good shot.
Ivan

Gareth said...

Thanks guys. I'll definitely revisit it in Photoshop.