Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sunsets



Last one from me today (and also an attempt to get away from the horsey theme).

A couple of gorgeous sunsets taken from our attic room windows from a few months back. Both use the tephoto 70-300 EF-S IS lens. The image stablisation is great on this lens, as these were taken at the long end of the range, ISO 400, with the shutter speed in the 1/15 - 1/20 range, hand-held.

I really love good sunsets, and these two have brilliant colour and - in the second image - great cloud structure too. I chose to keep the trees in there to provide a base and some anchor for the images, otherwise they become more abstract (certainly the first one would).

Comments welcomed

Ivan

4 comments:

Gareth said...

Competent but they don't move me, I'm afraid. Sunsets strike me as being far better when experienced than when photographed, and the photographs tend to work just for the individual as remembrance of the event.

Anonymous said...

Fair comment. What do you think of the technical aspects of the IS lens?
Ivan

Gareth said...

I've used one of these before on a few occasions, and the IS stuff is fantastic. I was out shooting at the weekend with my crappy 75-300 and really suffered for not using a tripod (not really compatible with having the kids with me - it's bad enough that I'm doing any photography at all!). So yes, impressive that they're hand-held at such a low shutter speed.

It's a fab lens. Point it at something more interesting! :)

Damian Lidgard said...

I would agree with Gareth. Perhaps in the second image a square crop starting at the bottom might work but overall they don't do much for me. Clearly a good lens however. I have a 100-300mm lens which I am going to trade for an IS one. Given my keenness on wildlife, I am actually thinking of jumping up to a 100-400mm IS L lens but I am still pondering.

Damian