Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Peak District Trees and Walls


A picture - one of the few - from our recent family trip to Tideswell in the heart of the Peak District.

No huge photoday outings were possible with a little baby, so I had to try and be creative with what was not the most stunning immediate area around the very nice village of Tideswell.

Up on a hill just above our cottage were some trees and the distinctive dry stone walls. I tried to isolate these and decided that a black and white treatment would work best. I framed it 1/3 land, 2/3 sky, as there was nothing else of interest in the land, and the large sky created a sense of space, and was just a bit more interesting than more grass. Central placement of the quite symmetrical clump of trees enhanced the simple feel. It was blowing a gale up there, but this feels somewhat peaceful to me. Quite harsh lighting, but I think I controlled the exposure OK, and the early slanting sunlight picks out the textures well enough. Not competition quality shot, but pleasing to me and one of the better ones I took.

Comments/views welcomed.

Ivan

3 comments:

Gareth said...

Square crop enhances this too, I think.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree. Have been playing around with the square crop a bit these days...

Ivan

Critical Light said...

Ivan,

The B&W treatment is perfect for this shot; works very well. There is a sense of movement (in the trees) even though overall it seems peaceful. The sky is great. Exposure and contrast are very good too. There is something though that doesn't quite work for me but not sure what that is. Perhaps I would have preferred a wider shot...

D