Thursday, June 21, 2007

Photographers and books

Ivan's last post triggered me to list some of my recent book purchases and to give a list of the photographers that provide me with inspiration. This list is not intended to inspire Ivan to buy more books though.

- Michael Freeman 2006 Mastering color digital photography. Lark Books
- Michael Freeman 2006 Mastering black and white digital photography. Lark Books

Got both of these cheap at a book festival in Halifax. They both have good information on digital photography but not a lot of detail; in places I was wanting more. Worth a look though.

- Colin Westerback 2005 Joel Meyerowitz. Phaidon Press Ltd
- Noel Boourcier 2006 Andre Kertesz. Phaidon Press Ltd

These two photographers offer me a lot of inspiration. Andre Kertesz is known for his 'spontaneous' photography of people, objects and light. Photographs by Joel Meyerowitz also have this quality and he expresses it through street scenes and architecture. Both are published by Phaidon Press; this publisher produces books with a very attractive format. The start of a collection I think.

- Henri Cartier-Bresson 1999 The mind's eye. Writings on photography and photographers. Aperture Foundation

I saw this book while in Borders, Brighton and upon reading short sections I had to buy it. There are sentences in this book that ring so true for me. It is a window, albeit small, into the mind of this passionate photographer.

"My passion has never been for photography "in itself", but for the possibility -through forgetting yourself-of recording in a fraction of a second the emotion of the subject, and the beauty of the form;..."

- Elliott Erwitt 2003 Elliott Erwitt's Handbook. The Quantuck Lane Press

This book was given to me by a friend. It directed my eye to the hand and it has been a very valuable inspiration.

Damian

No comments: