Monday, June 18, 2007

Whale Tails

Hi,

Last year in August I spent one day on the water in the Bay of Fundy with a group of marine mammal students. We were with Northern Right whales and naturally I took my camera to get some shots. Here are two that turned out OK. They were very difficult to shoot because one does not know when or where the whales would emerge, they were up for a very short time and the sun was very bright on the water but the whales were very dark. Tell me what you think. My favourite is the first because of the lovely curvature of the tail.



# 149. Focal length 300mm. 1/320 sec at f8.0 RAW Adobe RGB ISO 100

# 150. Focal length 290mm. 1/320 sec at f5.6 RAW Adobe RGB ISO 100

Damian

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A difficult subject in difficult lighting. Not sure what your hit rate was, but these two are good. You really feel the movement in both these images, and I agree that the first one is more pleasing, and I like it best. To be a little critical, both images have deep shadow areas with little detail, but I appreciate the difficulty of getting exposure right when there is such a range of dark and light - even with RAW it may not be possible to claw back the shadow detail. You've maintained highlight detail, as the images have a slight under exposed feel.

Good stuff.
Ivan

Critical Light said...

Interesting about the shadow detail. Will look at the RAW files again to see what I can pull back.

D