Sunday, October 26, 2008

Keeping with the tree theme

I took this photo on Sable Island on 31 Dec in 2006 at dusk. I remember this well. We were driving on our ATVs from the East camp to the West camp for the New Years Eve celebrations. It was 6pm and the weather was awful; cold, very windy and there was snow falling. We were close to the camp and I was really looking forward to getting inside but saw this tree trunk in the distance. It was one of those times when you have to think twice about pulling your camera out. But, its at these times when you get the best shots. I was also very happy to have IS on my lens because there was very little light.

1/25th at f4.5, Image Stabilised
ISO 1600
Focal length 30mm

Damian


3 comments:

Colin said...

This made me say "yeesh!", which indicates that you captured the moment very well. It would probably have looked even colder without the clouds.

I notice you have ATV tracks again.

Colin said...

(Addendum: I think it would look less interesting without the clouds, though.)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes indeedy! I like this very much. Same sort of comment as Colin: I think the bright area above the tree moves my eye away a bit - but only a bit - as the tree and the sandyness of the lower third of the image is so strong. Would love to see this worked on a bit, to slightly increase contrast in the bottom of the image (tree and sand) and maybe crop out the clouds, just to see.

Excellent shot.

Ivan