Monday, September 08, 2008

Summer selection

It's been a very busy summer - lots happening at work and a fair amount of travelling through July and August, so I've posted far less to the blog than I'd have liked. I've done a little bit of comment catchup and I'd like to take part in "one shot a week" so here's a selection to represent the last few weeks.



This is one of me rather than by me, at the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin.



This last one courtesy (indirectly) of Camera Club - Ann, who's an outstanding photographer, offered a free ticket to this weekend's airshow at Duxford for a car-load of people (her husband works there). I managed to get in first with my request so we went, and saw the Vulcan bomber in one of its first airshow appearances since it was restored to flying order at the end of last year.

Airshows in Britain in the seventies and eighties were all about the Vulcan. They cost a bomb to fly and keep repaired - ironic, as that's what they were built to carry - and they're huge. When the afterburners kick in, it's the best rock concert you've ever been to - and I think there's only Concorde - another delta-wing aircraft - which can beat it in terms of flying grace.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

G

Good to see you last evening and what a corker last night's presentation was. Both of us were inspired/depressed in equal measure due to the breadth of work and the artistic vision. Beautiful stuff.

Now to your offerings - I like the second one and the last one. The other two are nice enough, but lack something to make them more. Personal shots that I'm sure you enjoy and rightly so.

The second one is odd - the colour is kind of bluey, which I like, but your half-cheeky expression would be fine were it not for the fact that we know where this was taken. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should be all po faced when in these kind of places, but it didn't work for me knowing where it was. Had I not known, it would be an interesting environmental portrait.

The last one, I like the silhouette very much, and it's placement too. It couuld do with some work on the levels, as the whites are more greys, but good capture.

Ivan

jimmy said...

great blog guys!

are the B&W photos taken on B&W film or digitally converted? some look like they are taken on IR film.

keep it up,
cheers

Anonymous said...

Hi

I think in the most part they are taken digitally, in colour, and then converted. There may be a few that were on film (slides) and then scanned in later, but only a very few. I'm sure none were taken with IR film.

Glad you like the blog. Check back for more updates.

Thanks
Ivan

Gareth said...

Hi Ivan,

Good to see you last night, and thanks for the comments. I like your views on the second - the picture that Nessa took. Remind me at some point to tell you what I said to her as we entered the Jewish Museum...

See you on Monday!

G

Colin said...

I like #2 a lot, I'd be interested to know what you did to get the picture looking that way.

Gareth said...

Hi Colin,

Post-processing done in Lightroom. It was an overcast, rainy, misty day with flat, even lighting. The columns were probably a couple of metres over my head which meant that exposing for the skin would cause the tops of them to "blow out" to white, giving that fading up feeling. I nudged the exposure up in Lightroom to encourage that but it's pretty much as in-camera. At the far end of the row some buildings were visible which were distracting so I cloned them out.

Then I did a square crop putting my left eye on the top-right third. Finally, I did a bit of selective toning to desaturate stuff even more with the exception of my blue pullover which enhanced the cold feel. In total, probably under five minutes' post processing.

stasher1 said...

Top shots. Particualry like the 2nd. Great compositon and excellent post processing. Not sure i get the vulcan shot (even though I'll always have a soft spot ans my Dad worked on them)but i'm sure i'm missing something. Adam